Sunday, June 1, 2008

I'm Bear Grylls

We went camping this weekend! Our ward had a "Camp Out" Activity up American Fork Canyon. Because we have never been camping before, and had no proper equipment, we loaded up the truck with all the blankets we own and borrowed some sleeping bags. I have actually never been camping so this was my first experience roughing it in the mountains under the stars. We had such a great time with the ward, and survived sleeping outside without getting eaten by bears!
Ryan was the designated "cheese" man.
And the designated "bed set up" man.
Most of the night we were bundled up around the campfire eating and chatting with the ward members.
Yay, we survived! Both Ryan and I are petrified of Bears so this was a little scary just sleeping in the bed of the truck. We also were afraid of freezing to death, but thanks to Eddie and Amber and their sleeping bags, and the fact that we didn't sweat (because sweating is a death sentence according to Les Stroud aka Suvivorman) we made it through the night and would even consider doing it again.
Check out this view. As we were driving up the canyon we felt like we weren't in Utah anymore. I think that's a sign that we need to get out more. It's gorgeous up there!

4 comments:

Jed and Kate said...

Piper, I can't believe this was your first camping trip! How fun! I'm so glad the ward has finally made the camping trip happen...seems like they have been working on a ward campout since we first moved in. Looks like you had a great time!
-Kate
PS I am STILL so bummed that we are trading places this weekend and we won't get to see each other! So lame!

The Cannons said...

So you just skipped out on girls camp or what? I have been camping so many times I can't even count. I like it less and less I must admit. Although that does totally make me want to go camping right now! Sounded like good times were had by all.
Mitzi

Yvonne said...

What!? That was your first camping trip? I had no idea! I thought you guys just slept in the back of the truck because you didn't have a tent (which Marc and I only recently acquired at Christmas so it took us 3 years to get a tent). Anyway, looks like you and Mason both did pretty well with your first camping trips. It was his first camping trip as well - and the first camping trip Marc and I have ever taken together (I don't count going to his grandpa's cabin as camping). Anyway, I took a picture of Timp from about the same place - it was so gorgeous up there! I just haven't caught up to posting any of those pics yet. Alright, I'll stop rambling now. ;)

Ashly said...

are you coming to nyc this week or what? let us know so we can plan to see you guys and hang out